Monday, December 10, 2007

Just Touched Down!

So I'm finally here! My layover in London was not as long as I thought it would be. The gate was filled with expatriates, families, but mostly tourist., which is great to see. I sat beside a British women who works for a publishing and her sales territory is West Africa. We had an interesting conversation during the flight and hopefully will meet for drinks during the week. As soon as we landed I felt the heat! It is very humid but it is a welcomed change from the snow and ice in Philly. My sister, brother in law, and nephews greeted me at at the exit of the airport. They laughed immediately began to joke about my sweater and boots exclaiming "there are no sweaters here Amadwo, this is not America!"

We drove to my fathers home in Accra, where my aunt and cousins were there to greet me. We went through the traditional meet and greet where I had to say why I had come to visit . We then drank palm wine and poured libations for the ancestors I never met. This was particularly moving for me as an African-American. After we concluded the meet and greet I went straight to bed, dreaming about what tomorrow brings. Till then....

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yay you made it!

Unknown said...

Wow you poured out libations!!!!